Boris Johnson returns to Number 10 as police declare London Bridge incident terror related
The Prime Minister is returning to Downing Street after police confirmed they were treating an incident in London Bridge as a terror attack.
A spokesperson for Mr Johnson said he was returning from his constituency after police announced the suspect had been shot dead during the incident.
Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu confirmed a number of people had been stabbed during the incident which took place just before 2pm on Friday.
In a statement, Mr Basu said: "A male suspect was shot by specialised armed officers from the City of London Police and I can confirm this suspect died at the scene. A number of other people recevied injuries during this incident. As soon as we can provide further updates on their condition we will.
"As you would expect, due to the nature of the incident we responded as though this was terorist related. I am now in a position to confirm this has been declared a terrorist incident. We are working jointly with the City of London police as we continue to respond."
He also confirmed specialist officers had attended the scene and found what they believed to be a hoax explosive device.
"Officers continue to carry out meticulous searches in the area to ensure there is no outstanding threat to the public," he added.
Mr Basu said he would be attending Number 10 "immediately" with Met Commissioner Cressida Dick to brief the Prime Minister on the situation.
In a statement, Mr Johnson said: “I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge.
“This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families.”
Meanwhile, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn tweeted: "Shocking reports from London Bridge. My thoughts are with those caught up in the incident.
"Thank you to the police and emergency services who are responding."
Home Secretary Priti Patel said she was "very concerned" by the incident.
She added: "My thoughts are with all affected. I am grateful for the rapid response of our police and I urge everyone to follow their advice."
Police confirmed they would be increasing patrols around the City and across London in the wake of the incident.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he was in close contact with the Met following the attack.
"It has been confirmed that people were injured in the attack," he said.
"My heart goes out to them, their families and all affected.
"Thank you to our brave emergency servies who responded to today's horrific attack. Every day they put their lives on the line for us - running towards danger in order to keep London safe.
"We must - and we will - stay resolute in our determination to stand strong and united in the face of terror. Those who seek to attack us and divide us will never succeed."