Skip to main content


Mariner House
Galleon Boulevard, Crossways
United Kingdom0845 359

Moat is a housing association providing affordable homes in thriving communities for people in the South East of England. For over forty years, we have delivered high quality general needs homes for affordable rent, supported accommodation and tenancy support services. We also have a strong affordable home ownership and key worker housing offer.

Moat is one of the Homes and Communities Agency's development partners and is also the appointed HomeBuy Agent in Essex, Kent and Sussex.

Employing 430 people, we provide excellent customer service to the residents of our 20,000 affordable rented and shared ownership homes.

The work of housing associations

Housing associations provide affordable homes and services for people in housing need. They are independent organisations (many are charitable) and non-profit making. There are around 1,400 housing associations providing 1.8 million homes across England.

Housing associations are the country's main provider of new homes for affordable rent. Many also offer shared ownership schemes to help people on lower incomes afford the cost of home ownership and put their first foot on the housing ladder. Housing associations also provide much of the country's supported housing, with specialist services for vulnerable people such as those with mental health issues, learning disabilities, or women fleeing domestic violence.

Housing associations fund the development of new affordable homes by using privately raised finance together with funding provided by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA).

Housing associations are managed by Boards of Management comprising independent people (some of whom receive a modest payment) and volunteers. These boards have overall responsibility for the work of the organisation. Board members may include residents, representatives of local authorities, community groups and business people.

All housing organisations in England are known as Registered Providers and are regulated by the Tenant Services Authority (TSA).