PoliticsHome | Only the latest five entries on the PhiWire are visible to non-subscribers
- Sign up to see last 24 hours
Dont have an account?Sign up here
Tuesday 24th April 2012 | 18:42
John Mann Press Release
Labour MP John Mann is demanding to know why when he wrote to the then Cabinet Secretary Sir Gus O’Donnell on the 18th July 2011 he received assurances from Sir Gus that no untoward conversations had taken place between the Prime Minister and James Murdoch regarding the BSKYB bid.
On the 19th July 2011 Mann was told by Sir Gus that: “I am satisfied that decisions on the BSkyB takeover were at all times taken properly and in accordance with the relevant legislation.”
Mann said “this is starting to smell more and more like a cover up. We need to know immediately why Sir Gus was so confident in a position that today has unravelled in the light of James Murdochs evidence to Lord Leveson. The ex-Cabinet Secretary and Prime Minister both face critical questions that must be adequately answered.”
Mann is calling for the Cabinet Secretary to answer:
Why there was no investigation carried out last year into the Prime Ministers dealings with James Murdoch regarding the BSKYB bid, as he requested?
On what basis the decision was made not to investigate the Prime Minister’s involvement?
Whether someone in Downing Street deliberately blocked this attempt to investigate the Prime Minister? If so, who was responsible for this?